If you are new to Israel or have not been to any Open Restaurants events in the past, trust me that it is the most exciting foodie festival that takes place in Israel and a must for foodies all over Israel (yes even those in Tel Aviv who think nothing fun happens in Jerusalem!). This year’s festival will take place 19th to 23rd November 2019 and will include a variety of food related tours, tastings and activities.
Full details are on the festival website, which allows you to filter for events by categories such as kosher, kids, vegan and others. Prices for the events range between NIS 50-300 per person and as some events are already sold out, I recommend booking as soon as you decide.
English Speaking events:
- Pasta Siciliana – pasta-making workshop by Lello Favuzzi, Head Chef of London’s Mortimer House Kitchen and Chef Moshiko Gamliel of Anna Italian Café (Kosher).
- Art & Wine Walk – art gallery tour by Jenna Romano of Contemporary Art in Jerusalem, accompanied by wine tastings (Kosher).
- Tales of food in the Old City – tasting tour of the Old City by Tamar Shilo.
Information on all English speaking events can be found here.
My suggested events:
- Dough Workshop in the Heart of Jerusalem – by Chef Amir Naor at Arcadia restaurant.
- London – Jerusalem Chefs Swap – Head Chef Lello Favuzzi of London’s Mortimer House Kitchen will be hosted by Jerusalem’s Chef Moshiko Gamliel at Mona Restaurant.
- A Turkish tavern feast – Chef Zakai Hooja is hosting Turkish Chef Aret Silahli at Jacko’s Street (Kosher).
- Between Ein Karem and Oreino – food-filled tour through the Ein Kerem streets by chef Atalya Ein Mor and her tour guide mother, Pnina Ein Mor.
- Sacred sweets – Jerusalem-style candy workshop by Ronit Zin Karsenty.
- Welcoming the Sabbath in Djerba – lecture, challah-making workshop, and traditional meal in the style of the Jews of Djerba by Chen Koren & Avishag Shaar-Yashuv hosted at Jacko’s Street (Kosher).
- Two mothers, two cultures – tour of the kitchens of Samira, a Muslim woman in Beit Safafa and Rivka, an ultra-Orthodox woman.
- Studio Arcadia – intimate get-together, walking tour and tastings with Chef Ezra Kedem of Arcadia restaurant.
- Pizza, please – pizza workshop for kids at Craft Pizza (Kosher) in Shuk Mahane Yehuda.
Last year’s events:
For a flavor of some of the great events from last year, here is my debrief from Open Restaurants 2018 and if you look closely at the end of this video, you will see a copy of the post!
Official Event Photos by: Noam Prisman and Tomer Foltyn