Top 10 Debbest Dishes in December.
It has been a busy month with family and friends visiting for Hanukkah. Although most of the dishes this month were in Jerusalem, I did venture outside the Holy City a few times. In chronological order, below are Debbest dishes for December.
- Eggs Benedict @Mistabra (Mehadrin), Jerusalem. Nice to find good eggs benedict in a local cafe. However, eventhough the food and service were good, I found it is expensive for what it was.
- Grilled Chicken Lachuch @Aden (Mehadrin), Jerusalem. The small Yemenite stall in Shuk Machane Yehuda recently started serving meat and the grilled chicken and salad wrapped in the fluffy lachuch is a great combination.
- Mac & Cheese Pizza @Pizza Pompia (Mehadrin), Jerusalem. We ordered the pizza with mushrooms and truffle oil, which made it extra delicious. The pizza base was a bit too thin in the middle to hold the pasta, but the taste was great and the crust was crispy and doughy! A perfect late-night snack with friends.
- Fish Bowl @Sushiya, Jerusalem. Such a simple, yet delicius sushi bowl. Sushiya has the best sushi in Jerusalem.
- Chestnut Sufganiyah @Gourmandises by Yoel (Mehadrin), Jerusalem. All the sufganiyot were beautifully decorated and delicious, but the chestnut was my favorite and the candied/toffee apple was a close second.
- Spicy Tuna Sushi @Queen Lu (Kosher), Ra’anana. Very good quality kosher sushi, as good as Minato, if not better. We also really liked the Som Tam (green papaya salad) as a starter and my friend enjoyed her stir fried chicken with home-made flat rice noodles.
- Pargit Skewer @Grill Bar (Badatz), Jerusalem. Hatzot is normally my go-to shipud place but I needed a place in the city center for a large group and Grill Bar was the perfect option. The salads were all delicious and the grilled pargit was perfectly juicy.
- Chicken Pastille @Hamotzi (Kosher), Jerusalem. I always like this dish and although there was not much chicken inside, the sweet flavor and crispy pastry were a great combination.
- Sea Fish Tataki @Jacko’s Street (Kosher), Jerusalem. The slightly seared salmon was served with Asian pistachio sauce, cucumber caviar and yuzu. I love the combination of flavors in this dish and is my go-to light starter before a nice juicy steak.
- Dulche de Leche Sufganiyah @Nadav Kinuhim (Dairy, Not Supervised), Ramat Yishay. There is no question that I saved the best for last this Hanukkah. Some may remember that I went to Nadav Kinuchim for the first time back in October (Debbest Dishes October). The dulche de leche was thick and creamy and the dough was fresh and well cooked.
I had a few other meals in December that didn’t qualify for this list but are worth mentioning:
- Angus Burger @Josef Burger (Kosher), Jerusalem. Served medium, it is my favorite fast-food burger.
- Mushroom Pizza @Pizzeria Flora, Jerusalem. I like sitting down in Flora as thereis a fun atmosphere and good food. I prefer Craft Pizza as the base is sourdough but Flora is a better option for sitting with friends.
- Steak and Chips @Mapu, Prima City Hotel (Kosher), Tel Aviv. The steak had a good flavor but I would have preferred the fat to be rendered crispy. The chips were handmade and perfectly soft inside. Read more about Mapu here.
Categories: Debbest Dishes