News and reviews on the Israel Foodie scene for February.
It may have been a quiet start to the year but there are a few significant openings to report this month. Most significantly is the opening of Chef Yossi Shitrit‘s HIBA and a new cafe in Kiryat Anavim by the owners of Derech HaGefen. I am sure that as the winter starts to thaw, there will be more news to report. In the meantime, stay safe and warm and please let us all know if you try any new restaurants by sharing your feedback on Restaurant Club Israel or Restaurant Club Jerusalem.
Kosher Restaurant News
- Deli Alhambra (Dairy not supervised) is a deli and cafe on Jerusalem Boulevard in Yafo where Alhambra restaurant used to be. The cafe menu includes cheese platters, sashimi and salads.
- Shuk Machne Yehuda is already full of knafe places and now Knaftea has opened on Hillel Street in central Jerusalem serving a selection of freshly made Middle eastern desserts.
- One of my favorite coffee bars in Jerusalem Roasters has opened a second Jerusalem branch on Bezalel. Another branch of Roasters is due to open in Modiin soon.
- PopUp Cafe is a new cafe in Kiryat Anavim from the owners of Cafe Shalva, Derech HaGefen and Naya Asian. It is currently only open for lunch.
Not Kosher Restaurant News
- Al-Khatib Sweets is an Arabic sweet shop in the village of Ghajar (Ajar) on the Lebanese border, by reality TV star Pastry Chef Ahmed Khatib.
- Cichukai is an Asian restaurant by Chef Or Ginsberg, owner of Selas in the Flea Market in Jaffa.
- HIBA is the new restaurant by Chef Yossi Shitrit in the Midtown Building in Tel Aviv. The restaurant serves a 12-course tasting menu focusing on contemporary versions of traditional Middle Eastern dishes. The menu costs NIS 450 per person excluding alcohol and there is a maximum of 40 diners each night.
- Jeffrey’s is an American sandwich and hot dog restaurant in the Florentine neighborhood of Tel Aviv, serving Sloppy Joe, Rubens, and Philly steak sandwiches.
- Koh Thai is a Thai restaurant in Beersheva from the Kampai restaurant group.
- Lucky Chicken is a fried chicken restaurant in Bitan Aharon near Netanya. The chicken sandwiches are served in brioche buns. Check out the Lucky Chicken English menu for a list of all the goodness.
Other Israel Foodie News
- The famous fish restaurant, Uri Buri in Akko has reopened, after it was destroyed by the riots in May 2021.
- The Machneyuda group has opened Tekés vegetarian restaurant, the group’s third restaurant in Paris, located opposite Michelin-star Shabour.
- Chef Rafi Cohen (of Rafael fame) is returning to the Israeli culinary scene, as the culinary consultant for a cafe in the Ariella Library of the Tel Aviv Museum, managed by the Pastel Group. The cafe is due to open in March.
Drink & Foodie Israel Events
- Sommelier 2022, Hechal Hatarbut, Tel Aviv, 7-8 March 2022
- Teamim Baamkim, Galil, 27 February to 27 March 2022
- Be’shvil Ha’yhain Wine Festival, Tiberias, May 2022
Follow Debbest on Facebook, Instagram and subscribe to this newsletter to receive regular updates on the Foodie Israel scene and click here to read previous Foodie Israel monthly roundups.
Categories: Monthly Roundup
The Sommelier website says it is being held in March, and not this coming week.
thanks for catching that, it was postponed from last week and I changed the dates but not the month.