News from the Israel Food & Wine scene for August.
As the weather has heated up, so has the Israel Foodie scene with new kosher and non-kosher restaurants opening all over Israel. Israeli Kosher restaurant news this month includes the opening of Manara fish restaurant in the Sheraton Tel Aviv, Ibn Ezra opening in Tel Aviv by the son of the owner of Azura and Mariposa overlooking the golf course in Caesaria becoming kosher. Other news includes a new branch of Sherry Herring in Sarona Market and a new Italian restaurant in the Old City of Akko.
August is a busy month of food and wine festivals, including the Jerusalem Wine Festival, for which tickets are finally on sale. If you are traveling around Israel, please let us all know if you try any new or exciting restaurants by sharing your feedback on Restaurant Club Israel or Restaurant Club Jerusalem.
Wishing you all a very happy summer holiday!
Kosher Restaurant News
- Casa Lavi is a cafe on Derech Bet Lechem in Jerusalem.
- Drive In is a diner in the middle of Ben Gurion Boulevard in Tel Aviv serving burgers, schnitzel sandwiches and other fast food.
- Ibn Ezra is a meat grill restaurant near Levinsky Market in Tel Aviv by Elran Scherpler, the son of Ezra (Azura Restaurant Jerusalem). Ezra opened a branch of Azura in Tel Aviv a few years ago and this new place is an oriental restaurant open for lunch only. On Fridays, the restaurant sells takeaway for Shabbat.
- Grill Bar North (Grill Bar Zafon) is a grilled meat restaurant in Ramat Aviv by the owners of Serafina.
- Habibi Burger Bar (HBB) is a burger bar in Gedera, with the option for eating in, takeaway, and a drive-thru window.
- Manara is a Levantine-style dairy fish restaurant in the Sheraton Tel Aviv hotel, by Chef Nimrod Hadas and the TYO group. The menu is divided into Island, Land, and Sea dishes.
- Maslov Deli is a deli from private Chef Ivan Maslov, in Ramat HaChayal. Dishes include rotisserie chicken, smoked brisket, fish kebab, roasted vegetables, and salads.
- N19 is a butcher and deli in Ashdod selling ready-made and meat takeaway dishes such as Asado sandwiches, veal cheek cigar, frena with sweetbreads and other delicacies.
Not Kosher Restaurant News
- Bar Yam is a fish and seafood restaurant and wine bar in Downtown Haifa.
- Bottargaa (Kosher no teudah) is a small restaurant inside Shuk HaCarmel, serving home-cooked stews, salads and traditional Moroccan cooking.
- Classic is a burger restaurant on Yehuda Halevi in Tel Aviv from the owners of the former Wolfnights restaurant.
- Kissa bar by Mirage is a Japanese and jazz bar by Chef Eyal Shani at the back of Beit Romano on Park Hamesila.
- Kvish Mahir (Highway) is the takeaway branch of the popular Rosh Pina burger restaurant Kvish 90.
Omnia by Angus is a steak restaurant in the Dabach Mall in Deir El Assad near Karmiel. The restaurant is a collaboration between cattle breeder Fadi Dabah and Chef Zuzu Hana of Magdalena in Migdal and focuses on Levantine food with Galilean produce.
- Rotch 64 is a bistro and cocktail bar in Rishon LeZion.
- Sherry Herring, the fish sandwich stall by Sherry and Michal Ansky, has opened a new branch in Sarona Market. The other branches are Shuk HaNamal in Tel Aviv and the Upper West Side in New York (Kosher).
- Tash Sultan is a Georgian restaurant and bar in the Old Station in Tel Aviv from the owners of Tash and Tasha.
- The Little Sister Pizza has opened a new branch in Hod Hasharon.
- Uno is an Italian restaurant on the water in Akko by Chef Roni Khalifa, focusing on fish and seafood. The restaurant is from the owners of Al Marsa and Sama in Akko.
- Vareniks is an Eastern European dumpling restaurant in Haifa. Dumpling fillings include traditional potato with fried onions, potato with sour cream, and sweet cherry. Other fillings include Hungarian goulash and labaneh with zaatar.
Other Israel Foodie News
- Chef Golan Gurfinkel has left the Dallal restaurant group after 16 years. He has not confirmed what he will do next.
- Humongous burger restaurant opened the sixth branch in Kfar Yona.
- Mariposa overlooking the golf course in Caesaria is now a kosher fish and meat restaurant. This is big news for kosher foodies as it is considered one of the best restaurants in Israel. The restaurant has a private dining room.
- Paris Texas burger restaurant in Ramat Gan has opened a new branch in Givatayim.
Drink & Foodie Israel Events
- AutoOchel, AmphiBagai, Jerusalem, every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, 6-11 pm, July & August 2022. The selection of food trucks changes weekly so check their page for updates.
- Bein HaCramim Festival (Among the Vineyards), Merom HaGalil, 11-18 August 2022 – live concert and wine tastings.
- Cocktail Festival, Herzliya Marina, 17 – 18 August 2022 – NIS 105 in advance, NIS 135 on the door. Tickets include three full cocktails.
- Jerusalem Cocktail Festival, First Station, 24-25 August 2022, free entry.
- Jerusalem Wine Festival, Israel Museum, 29 August – 1 September 2022, NIS 110 entry, buy tickets here.
Categories: Monthly Roundup