News from the Israel Foodie scene for March.
It is no surprise that the run-up to Pesach is a slower time for restaurant openings in Israel, especially kosher ones. Nevertheless, there is still some Israel foodie news to report this month and stay tuned for a list of restaurants that will be open for Pesach, as well as some recommendations on where to eat that last bite of Hametz, the night before.
Kosher Restaurant News
- Cafe Merkaz (Mehadrin) is a coffee roast house on Rehov HaNeviiim in Jerusalem serving fresh coffee, cold brew, and a selection of roasted coffee beans.
- Farino Pizza in Ashdod is now under Tzohar supervision.
- Yaar Cacao (Mehadrin), the artisanal chocolate company based in Talpiot in Jerusalem, has opened a store in Shuk Machane Yehuda selling hot chocolate, along with pralines and bars.
Not Kosher Restaurant News
- Cafe Kalamata is the little sister of the Greek restaurant Kalamata, located next door, in Kedumim Square in Old Jaffa. The cafe is open for breakfast and lunch.
- House of Coffee (HOC) has opened a branch on the corner of Trumpledor and Hayarkon Streets in Tel Aviv, next to the beach.
- Jigger is a cocktail bar in Dizengoff Square that also serves brunch on Fridays.
- Mae Cafe has opened a fourth branch in the Sarona complex in Tel Aviv.
- Mela vegetarian cafe and deli has opened a third branch on Mikveh Israel Street In Tel Aviv. The cafe has lots of gluten-free options.
- Naifa is a restaurant in Tel Aviv by Chef Naifa Mulla, featuring traditional Druze dishes with a modern twist.
- Otello Gelato has opened a branch in Sarona Market. Otello serves great ice cream and has many dairy-free flavors, not just sorbets.
- R48 Chef’s Table is a small chef restaurant in the lobby of the R48 hotel on Rothschild Boulevard, led by Chef Ohad Solomon, the former head chef at Coffee Bar. The restaurant is run by Ruti Broudo and R2M, has only nine tables, and exclusively offers an 11-course tasting menu for NIS 500 per person.
- Softy is an ice cream parlor in Tel Aviv which serves a combination of American soft serve with Italian gelato.
- Zot is a Neopolitan pizza restaurant in Ashdod from the owners of Zeh Ashdod.
Other Israel Foodie News
- Chef Assaf Granit is the new chef of El Al and will create the new menus for the airline.
- Chef Boris Paukman is the new head chef of the Dan Tel Aviv Hotel, replacing Chef Oved Alfia who was the hotel’s chef for 25 years.
- Chef Guy Peretz of Salon Yevani has partnered with the Municipality of Kiryat Motkin, as the first city in Israel to set up a permanent food truck park. The park on Ben Gurion Promenade, consisting of 10 trucks, will serve ice cream, falafel, burgers, and more.
- Roshfeld restaurant in the Panda Hotel in Neve Ativ has closed after just two months of operation due to an argument between Chef Yonatan Roshfeld and the hotel. I am not super surprised as Roshfeld has a terrible track record!
Drink & Foodie Israel Events
- Festival Bali Galil, Galil, 9-18 March 2023
- Judean Hills Food Festival 9 March – 1 April 2023
- Judea, Samaria and Benjamin Wine Festival, Ariel University, 22-23 March 2023
- JLM Dessert Fair, The First Station Jerusalem, 22-23 March 2023
- Tel Aviv Wine Festival, Gan Hair, Tel Aviv, 30 March 2023 – NIS 129
- Jerusalem Craft Beer Fair, The First Station Jerusalem, 19-20 April 2023
- Caesarea Wine Festival, Terra, Caesaria, 19 May 2023
- The Best Speciality Coffee in Jerusalem
- Israel Foodie Roundup February 2023
- Best Restaurant in Israel Awarded to George and John
Categories: Monthly Roundup