A Guide to North Israel Beach Restaurants, Sea View, and Lake View Restaurants.
As it is often pointed out, North Israel is a large area, so for this post, I will focus on North Israel beach restaurants between Haifa and Rosh Hanikra, as well as sea view restaurants in Akko and the Kinneret and restaurants on the river in the Galil.
Haifa Area Beach and Sea View Restaurants
I am a big fan of Haifa, especially the culinary scene, which is mostly thanks to the fusion between Arab and Israeli cuisines that cannot be found in most parts of the country. Unlike many beach towns on the Israeli coastline, Haifa caters mostly to locals rather than tourists but there are a few really great restaurants to try.
- Amigos Bar is a large restaurant and bar on Kiryat Yam Beach, serving the usual selection of food and drink.
- Beach Club Haifa is attached to a surf club overlooking the sea. The open kitchen allows diners to see their dishes being prepared in front of them and the design is Greek themed. The restaurant is in partnership with Lehem Erez and features many baked goods on the menu.
- Cafe Cafe is a chain restaurant on Dado Beach Promenade.
- Camel is a simple beachside restaurant and bar serving a variety of middle eastern and fast food on Camel Beach.
- Cinema Paradiso is a modern bar and restaurant on Zamir Beach, serving a fusion of Arab and Israeli food. The kitchen is run by Chef Tomer Agay from Tel Aviv’s Santa Katarina. The bar has a cocktail menu and there is a live DJ at the weekend.
- Eataliano dalla Costa combines traditional Italian cuisine with touches of the local Arab-Galilee cuisine. The spacious restaurant is located on the upper floor of a beach-side building, overlooking the sea. Click here for a full review of the restaurant.
- Etsel Yossi is a traditional Middle Eastern grill restaurant with a selection of hummus options, meat skewers, mezze salads and some fish options.
- Ewar is a Middle Eastern Chef restaurant overlooking Carmel Beach, with a range of grilled fish, seafood and meat, as well as specialty taboon dishes.
- Hahavit is a simple seaside restaurant with a focus on seafood and fried dishes.
- HaMakom Shel Eliyahu is located on Dado Beach with a large variety of dishes for all the family.
- Kahuna Beach Bar is a seasonal Caribbean-style beach bar attracting a young crowd on HaCarmel beach. The bar includes sun loungers, umbrellas and a lounge area.
- Mandarin Beach is a branch of the Mandarin chain on Meridian Beach. Here is the full Mandarin Beach English menu.
- Misadag (Kosher) is a fish restaurant with a traditional mezze of salads on the Bat Galim Promenade.
- Najma is a Levantine-style restaurant overlooking the beach in Haifa. The menu includes Arabic classics like shish barak stuffed with spinach, tuna niya – a cross between kibbeh niya and tuna tartare and Turkish Adana kebab.
- Nirvana Beach is a beachside branch of Fresh Kitchen on Zamir Beach. The menu includes a range of freshly prepared dishes including rich breakfasts, salads, sandwiches, toasts, grilled fish and meat, pizza and pasta dishes.
- Pipa Foodtruck is a simple food truck on Neve Yam beach, south of Atlit. Snacks available include Malabi, brownies, salads, sandwiches, acai bowls, fruit shakes and iced drinks.
- SalamTruck is a vegan Indian food truck by the sea. The truck is open Tuesday to Friday, 6-9 pm, and Shabbat 12-8 pm (double-check in case the timings change).
- Seasons located on Dado Beach serves a variety of breakfast options, sandwiches, toasts, salads, sharing platters, pasta and meat main dishes.
- Shaltieli (Kosher) is located on the first floor of a beachside building, overlooking the sea, with both indoor and outdoor seating. The meat restaurant is open all day and has some interesting menu options such as chorizo shakshuka, chicken salad, and chicken pad Thai. The restaurant also serves sandwiches, tortillas, grilled meat and fish, and sharing platters, as well as a variety of vegan options and vegan cheese served with some meat dishes.
- Shawatina is a traditional Middle Eastern grill restaurant with a selection of salads and a choice of grilled meat and fish. Shawatina has two locations, one on the beach at the lower cable car station and the other at the top of the cable car next to Stella Maris Observation, with views across Haifa Bay to Akko.
- Shrimps House is a seafood restaurant serving a variety of shrimp related dishes, as well as calamari, crab, and some grilled fish dishes.
- Tortuga is a bistro on the promenade opposite Carmel Beach. Dishes include Caesar salad, burger, Asian stir-fry, seafood risotto, Halloumi salad, and salmon teriyaki.
- Wasabi Beach is a sushi and Asian restaurant overlooking Carmel Beach. The menu includes a varied sushi menu and some cooked Asian dishes.
Akko Beach and Sea View Restaurants
Akko, sometimes called by its Roman name of Acre, is a charming port city across the bay from Haifa. The Old City of Akko is a UNESCO Heritage site and is home to numerous sea-view fish restaurants around the city walls and some beachside restaurants.
- Abu Christo is a Greek-style fish and seafood restaurant in Old Akko on the seashore, with a view of Haifa Bay and Har Carmel. Check out the Abu Christo English menu.
- Al Fanar is a simple cafe in the Old City overlooking the water.
- Cafeneto Akko branch is located by the sea, serving a variety of breakfast, pastries, toast, sandwiches, salads and other main dishes.
- Comptair is a cafe and restaurant with an oriental designed interior, located on the promenade opposite the sea. The menu includes a variety of dishes including burrata, steak and lobster.
- Babel is a restaurant on the promenade with a modern interior design located on two floors and a spacious outdoor seating area. The menu includes a variety of fish, seafood and grilled meat options and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Doniana is a restaurant in the Old City of Akko located directly over the sea, opposite the Old City walls. The Middle Eastern menu includes a wide variety of fish, seafood and meat dishes. Doniana has the most amazing views of all the restaurants in Akko and the setting is very romantic.
- El Bourj Cafe is traditional meat and fish grill restaurant located in an 18th-century caravanserai (roadside inn).
- El Marsa is Akko’s second most well-known fish restaurant, after Uri Buri. Located in the fishing harbor, the menu serves a selection of fresh fish and seafood, with modern interpretations of traditional Galilee Arabic cuisine. The restaurant is located in a 13th-century building and also houses a cocktail bar called Marsa Bar.
- Kantara is a Mediterranean restaurant in the Old City, serving salads, taboon bread, grilled fish, and more.
- Mina is a seafood and fish restaurant beautifully designed with floor-to-ceiling windows and breathtaking views of the sea. It is located along the promenade overlooking the beach.
- Mobarsham Restaurant is a fish restaurant with two branches in Akko, one in Argaman Beach south of the Old City, and another branch on the promenade north of the Old City. The menu features traditional Arabic food, including salads, mezze, grilled fish and meat. The menu also includes a selection of western dishes such as pasta, stews and steaks.
- Ram Restaurant (Kosher) is the sister restaurant of the main Ram restaurant in Bustan Hagalil serving home-cooked meat dishes and pre-prepared food. The restaurant is located on Akko beach, south of the Old City.
- The Loaves and Fish is a traditional meat and fish restaurant located on Akko’s promenade.
- The Pisani Harbour is a Middle Eastern restaurant in the Old City, located on the sea with a view of Haifa Bay.
- Uri Buri is one of the best fish restaurants I have eaten in, and definitely the best fish restaurant in Israel.
Nahariya Area Beach and Sea View Restaurants
The town of Nahariya has a long stretch of beach but the cafes and restaurants are located close to the main town. The Nahariya area also includes restaurants on Achziv beach, all the way up to the ultimate North Israel Sea View restaurant on the Lebanese border at Rosh Hanikra.
- Cafe Lalush is a European-style brasserie overlooking the sea serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant has a large indoor and outdoor seating area and includes live musical performances.
- Cafe Landwer has a branch overlooking the beach on the Nahariya Broadwalk. Here is the Cafe Landwer English menu.
- HaTzuk (Kosher) is located on the edge of the cliff on the border of Israel and Lebanon, next to the entrance to the Rosh Hanikra cable car. Sitting on the outer deck feels like you are suspended over the sea. The menu includes grilled meat, fish, and vegetarian dishes.
- Kakao cafe is located on the promenade opposite the sea. The cafe serves the typical Israeli cafe dishes, and the menu is similar to other Kakao branches.
- Morgenfeld (Kosher) is a South American steak house overlooking Achziv Beach. The restaurant has a large outdoor plaza with palm trees and beautiful views of the sea.
- Mul Hayam (Kosher) is a grilled meat and fish restaurant on the promenade opposite the sea, between Sokolov and Galei Galil Beach.
- Papaya Beach is a cafe and bar with seating on a large terrace overlooking the beach, and on the beach itself.
Galil Restaurants on the Water
- Dag al Hadan is a fish restaurant located on a fish farm where the Hasbani River meets the Dan River in the Northern Galil near the Lebanese border. The menu changes depending on the fish availability and is served with a selection of salads and side dishes.
- Iskandar (Mehadrin) is a meat restaurant next to the Jordan River, attached to a water sports club that includes white water rafting, kayaking, paintballing, and other activities near Kibbutz Gadot in the Upper Galilee.
- The Witch and the Milkman is a well-known Galilean restaurant that recently relocated to a new location overlooking the Hatzbani River near Kibbutz HaGoshrim. Check out The Witch’s English menu.
Kinneret / Sea of Galilee Beach and Sea View Restaurants
Most of the restaurants on the Kinneret are in Tiveria (Tiberius) but some restaurants can be found in other resorts around the Kinneret.
- Aleta is the sister restaurant of On the River (see below) in an idyllic setting on Shaldag Beach overlooking the Kinneret. The restaurant and bar lounge specializes in modern fish and seafood dishes, using high-quality raw ingredients.
- Blue Beach Restaurant is a restaurant on Blue Beach in Tiberias catering to large groups for lunch and dinner.
- Bora Bora is a Polynesian-style bar overlooking the Kinneret with a drinks, food and cigar menu.
- Ein Gev Fish Restaurant (Kosher) is a fish restaurant with a spacious veranda overlooking the lake and the Ein Gev fishing harbor. There is also the option to take a fishing cruise or spend the day as a fisherman and catch the fish before you eat it.
- Decks (Kosher) is located on the Sea of Galilee (Kinneret) Lido and serves roasted and grilled meat and fish.
- Galei Gil Restaurant is a simple no-frills meat and fish grill restaurant with inside and outside seating areas overlooking the Kinneret. Here is the Galei Gil English menu.
- HaMezhaa (Mehadrin) is a dairy and fish restaurant on the Tiveria promenade, with indoor and outdoor seating. The restaurant is available for events for up to 150 people.
- Hermitage is an Oriental restaurant serving fish, seafood and meat. The restaurant is located in an 800-year-old Ottoman building in Tiveria overlooking the Sea of Galilee.
- Lotte by Assaf Granit (Kosher) is a beautiful chef restaurant in the Galei Kinneret Hotel. The restaurant has a terrace directly overlooking the Kinneret.
- Magdalena is a popular chef restaurant serving traditional Arabic Galilean food, here is the full Magdalena English menu. The restaurant is not directly on the water but has a view of the lake.
- On the River (Al Hanahar) is a picturesque restaurant on the Jordan river, surrounded by Eucalyptus trees, with a modern menu of fish, seafood, meat and vegetarian dishes. Here is the full On The River English menu.
- The Setai Sea of Galilee is a five-star hotel on the East side of the Kinneret with a dairy lounge bar-restaurant.
- Torrance Restaurant is the main restaurant of The Scots Hotel with a terrace overlooking the gardens of the hotel and the lake.
- St.Peter’s Restaurant is a grilled fish, seafood, and meat restaurant, with an emphasis on St Peter’s fish.
Check out other posts about Israel beach restaurants and please comment below with your feedback on any of the restaurants listed above or share photos and a review in the Facebook group Restaurant Club Israel.